0x00000006 error (cannot connect to server) when trying to add printers 21

Scenario :

Dell E6410 with windows 7 PRO trying to add printer(s) – HP, from server xyz, returns error : Cannot Connect To Printer, when you expand you receive this code : 0x00000006

[zp src=”printerror.jpg” album=”blog/etc” width=”500″]

What I tried :

Removing everything related to the printer in registry (F3 is your friend)
Adding other printers from other print server (this worked)
Re-adding computer to domain (was listed, but thought i’d try)

Rebooted after each attempt as well.

What finally worked :

Going to :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers
and removing anything related to the xyz server, and it worked, did not even have to reboot. Connected, and started downloading drivers as it is supposed to.

Hopefully this helps!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

21 thoughts on “0x00000006 error (cannot connect to server) when trying to add printers

1. Reply Sadayoshi Dec 22,2011 10:48 am

Wow dude… you are a Wizard.
    Many thx for help!

2. Reply Vivi The Mage Dec 22,2011 10:48 am

You’re welcome! Glad i could help :).

3. Reply JB Jul 27,2012 7:37 am

Quick Google search to find this solution and your effort is appreciated. Cheers

4. Reply Vivi The Mage Jul 27,2012 8:06 am

Good, glad it could help! It was an odd one.

5. Reply Kirby Oct 30,2012 12:48 pm

Ahhhh… thankyou. I was about to start throwing things.

6. Reply Vivi The Mage Oct 30,2012 1:09 pm

Yes, very annoying! We still see this from time to time and fixes it.

7. Reply Bruno Santos Nov 1,2012 2:17 pm

obrigado funcionou!!!

tks, it works for me!!!

tks from brazil!!! 😀

8. Reply Bryan Fossum Nov 13,2012 11:26 pm

THANK YOU! I’ve been looking for a *GOOD* solution to this for days! All I’ve seen are cumbersome workarounds which aren’t very friendly for a work environment. All of the solutions are telling people to add the printer as a local printer and then pointing to the IP address or network location. Just wasn’t gonna cut it for me. I knew there had to be something out there. Been working on my work computer remotely from home all evening. Happy to finally stumble upon this. Can’t wait to try this solution on the other W7 Pro machine that is exhibiting similar pesky characteristics, but since I can’t remote into that one then I’ll just have to wait until the morning. *fingers crossed*

Any ideas what caused this? I have 2 machines that had no problems with printers, then all of a sudden — nothing. Couldn’t even add a printer with an Administrative account.

9. Reply Vivi The Mage Nov 14,2012 8:25 am

You are welcome! We also didn’t want to just add the printers as local, so we had to find a solution to fix it. What caused this? My guess is drivers flaking out or corrupt registry, I have a few more posts with similar 0x000000x errors where drivers were the culprit and the fix.

10. Reply Edlenn Nov 21,2012 4:10 am

Thanks a lot !

11. Reply ian Dec 22,2012 6:14 am

dropped by to say thanks a million you sir are a genius

12. Reply Amaranthe Apr 10,2013 11:23 am

You may want to checkout this Hotfix From Microsoft:

Client Side Rendering Print Provider” registry key growth on a Windows Server 2008 R2-based Remote Desktop Session Host server

The bloat in the Client Side Rendering section is insane! My RDSH Environment keeps creating keys under the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\” for every single user’s Sid and leaving them in the HKLM even while the user is logged off. The part that really throws me off is we have CSR Disabled via Group Policy (Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Printers\Always render print jobs on the server: Set to Disable) yet this section is being populated by keys.
    From what I’ve read about Client Side Rendering (http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2008/02/10/ws2008-client-side-rendering.aspx) I’d think this section of the registry would not be used unless CSR was enabled.
    I’ll post if the Hotfix and manual clean-up of the pre-existing keys helps. From what I have tested the SID keys recreate when the user logs in. Now I just need to figure out a time to perform maintenance and see if the KB 2778831 Hotfix works and keeps it from bloating.

13. Reply Vivi The Mage Apr 10,2013 11:24 am

Is this only for 2008, or 2003 as well by chance?

14. Reply Amaranthe Apr 10,2013 12:29 pm

Vivi, I’m pretty sure this is Vista + 2008 only since the Client Side Rendering key should not exist in a 2003 environmet(See Client Side Rendering).

15. Reply burgundy95 Jul 31,2013 3:44 pm

thanks man! excellent work!

16. Reply Vusal Dadashzadeh Aug 30,2013 8:03 am

Greetings from Baku. Thanks dude… That’s totally fixes our issue +++++++++

17. Reply John Beale Apr 12,2015 9:00 pm

I seem to have something similar to this, but it is on a computer that was once on a windows domain, but now is on it’s own. Add a printer using the Add a Printer button,I first get a message that the spooler is not running and when I fix that, I get two of these 0X000006 errors, then the process proceeds and the printer does not show up in Devices and Printers or only the scanner part of the device shows up. Anyone have and ideas about this? Thanks.

18. Reply Vivi The Mage Apr 27,2015 1:28 pm

Is it an HP printer? Have you looked at that hive registry stuff to see if it’s bloating the registry?

19. Reply Adele Jul 10,2015 4:47 am

It’s always a pleasure to hear from someone with extiprese.