Silverstone TEK SG05 + EVGA GTX 680 + ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE + NOCTUA NH-L12 – The ITX mini beast! 20

okay, so I am reducing the footprint of my computer, a LOT. If you follow, I had a 600T rig :

I am now going with an itty bitty SG05. I fought between the SG05 and the SG08 a lot, I wasn’t sure what I wanted … and the PSU only having 450W 36AMP +12V capable made me go back and forth, I felt safe going with the SG05. Since footprint was my MAIN concern. I also fought a few other boxes, but in the end, they were just too big to go ITX IMO.

Fractal Design Node size : Dimensions (mm) 250 x 374 x 210 (W x D x H)
Lian Li PC-Q08B size : Dimensions (mm) 227 x 345 x 272 (W x D x H)
Lian Li TU200 size: Dimensions(mm) 220 x 360 x 320(W x D x H)
Silverstone SG08 size: Dimensions (mm) 222 x 351 x 190 (W x D x H)
Silverstone SG05 size: Dimensions (mm) 222 x 276 x 176 (W x D x H)

So this would be my component list

Silverstone TEK SG05
Noctua NH-L12
ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
i5 2500k
EVGA GTX 680
CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3-1600
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
3 x Samsung 830 256GB

This was a fun build, super tiny, super compact. So far I have gamed on it for a few hours, and it’s running great. I used some Arctic Silver 5 to adhere it to the heatsink. Under full load I am seeing 46C on my i5 2500k. I have not tested much further then that though.

Here it is naked, with the motherboard, and GPU inserted. The GPU was a pain to install. I had to remove the silver bracket as well as wiggle it in. I did not bend anything, which was nice.

P1030121.JPG

P1030122.JPG

Here is a quick top side view :

P1030123.JPG

Here’s me jerry rigging a scythe SLIM fan on top of the heatsink, because the stock one it came with was too large and hit the PSU. I have a little volt modifer that makes it super quiet, but pushes some air still. As you can see, I also put some electrical tape on the side of the heatpipes, because it is almost touching the GPU board.

P1030125.JPG

I ended up removing the grill, as I could not get the screw downs to work properly, oh well. It still works, and so far no cables have touched it.

P1030126.JPG

Everything going back in :

P1030127.JPG

Another side view :

P1030129.JPG

The GPU all snug :) :

P1030131.JPG

And the back side :

P1030132.JPG

I will do some more extensive testing with my killawatt, and temp performance on the CPU and GPU. Otherwise, everything seems to be rock solid now. I currently have the heatsink fans in a push pull going TOWARDS the CPU, I might change it up if I get time and find some more zip ties haha. If you’d like me to test something specifically, let me know!

*UPDATE OCT 26th

I flipped the PSU to push air upwards towards the vents, and it did drop about 2C under full load.

Share!

20 thoughts on “Silverstone TEK SG05 + EVGA GTX 680 + ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE + NOCTUA NH-L12 – The ITX mini beast!

1. Pingback: Samsung 830 256GB in raid 0 with Z77 chipset and TRIM | Vivi The Mage

2. Reply Tara Nov 10, 2012 7:49 pm

$300 MB ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE

3. Reply Vivi The Mage Nov 10, 2012 10:53 pm

It didn’t cost me that much.

4. Reply Dylan Nov 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi there, Nice little power house you have there. I wondered if you could possibly tell me the size of the gap from the edge of the motherboard to the front of the case if there was no 120mm fan there?

5. Reply Vivi The Mage Nov 15, 2012 5:56 pm

How exact would you like me to be? MM/CM/INCH? I can see if it’s easy to measure quickly.

6. Reply Dylan Nov 16, 2012 1:05 pm

Cheers man, just need to know if there 80mm or more?

7. Reply Vivi The Mage Nov 17, 2012 1:24 pm

IF you are going from the metal of the front to the edge of the mobo it’s 3.5″ on the nuts.

8. Reply Dylan Nov 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Many Thanks for that.

9. Reply Cheezwheel Jan 17, 2013 7:54 am

What a mess. Shorten the cables, sleeve them and swap your CPU cooler for a H60i. BAM.

10. Reply Vivi The Mage Jan 17, 2013 11:04 am

The CPU cooler I have works great in this little box. A H60i would leave me just as little room, if not less from what I have read.

I would like to sleeve the cables, but I have nothing on hand to do so, as it gets cramped once you put it all in and need some room for them to move around.

11. Reply zsero Feb 2, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this! It seems like a dream-build. I would like to ask one question from you: can you measure the weight of the full system? It would be interesting to have such a system, since it’s quite portable, but I have no idea about how much it weights! Can you measure it for me?

Thanks,
    Zsero

12. Reply Vivi The Mage Feb 3, 2013 12:16 am

Done, it weighs 12.4 pounds.

That is with 4 SSD’s in it + everything else listed.

13. Reply Cheezwheel Feb 27, 2013 5:12 am

Why did you choose a i5 2500k over a i5 3570k 3rd generation? I believe your GPU only will run a PCI-E 2.0 instead of 3.0, other than that, nice build!

Im considering something similar

14. Reply Vivi The Mage Feb 27, 2013 9:16 am

I already owned an i5 2500k, and dropping extra cash on the i5 3570k seemed pointless compared to what the perfornace differences there were (next to nil for gaming). When I built the exact rig for my brother in law, he got a i7 3770k, and when he games on mine, he sees zero difference, and our FPS are nearly identical. I have not done any thorough testing, but that is what we saw.

The motherboard actually has a : 1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 so it will run 3.0.

15. Reply CHEEZWHEEL Mar 12, 2013 3:35 pm

How much spacing (if any) is there between the front 120mm fan and the graphics card? I’ve noticed that you have the backplate installed, and i want to do the same thing but still have 2x 120mm fans in the front with a small closed loop cpu cooler radiator. Corsair H55 to be exact.

16. Reply Vivi The Mage Mar 12, 2013 3:40 pm

If you look:

There is maybe a MM or two … if you google, I have seen a bunch of people throwing in corsair closed loop coolers in these boxes … I have even seen people do 2 closed loops inside a box.

17. Reply Cheezwheel Mar 13, 2013 3:02 am

Okay, thank you for the quick response! :)

18. Reply Rjeezy Jul 22, 2013 10:18 pm

how many watts does this consume, i currently own a gtx 680 and im thinkabout build a hasweel itx build

19. Reply Vivi The Mage Jul 23, 2013 9:22 am

When I was playing BF3 I got about 480 watts or so from my killawatt at the wall.

20. Pingback: Vivi The Mage